Monday, January 12, 2015

My Masterpiece

• Growing up in a small town like Santa Maria, I've quickly realized that there isn't many "fun" things for teenagers to do. Many times, hanging out result in drugs, alcohol, and getting into trouble. There are constant questions between friends, "What should we do tonight?" "What is there to do this weekend?" The most popular answers would either be nothing, or to go to a party. The few things that there are to do cost money that most of us don't always have. My goal is to create a positive atmosphere where teens can have fun sober. I'm not quite sure what direction to go in because there's already places like the Abel Maldonado Center and such, but I would like to collaborate with someone, like CJ from Fighting Back Santa Maria, to get something started.
• I've became so engaged in this topic because there's been a countless number of times where I've been with my friends searching for hours for things to do. We always result in settling to stay at home, bored, or do something we probably shouldn't be doing. I care about this so much because I don't want younger kids (like my younger brother, or even my younger cousins) to grow up like this. I'd rather have them hanging out at a place where they can have fun other than out getting into trouble with drugs/alcohol. 
• This topic can both enrich my life and others in this community. I can abhere a positive environment for kids and end drug and alcohol abuse for teenagers. I know it's a struggle in this community and with this project, we can be one step closer to engaging awareness to end it. 
• I believe the academic discipline needed for this will be social experience. I'm definitely going to have to talk to a bunch of different people to make those connections. Also, maybe some experience in Recreational Studies. 
• My whole plan is still all up in the air, but I know the CJ (Chastity Johnson) who works for Fighting Back Santa Maria will definitely be more than happy to help me out with this. I already know her at a personal level as well. 
• Resources I'll need are positive attitudes for one! I won't be able to accomplish this if kids don't want to listen. Being one myself, I know teenagers take the "cool" route and just shake off anything that is told to them about alcohol and drugs because they're too stubborn to listen and think they know it all. Major resources I'll need are something like a recreational building and equipment for activities. 
• For my project, I can continue using this blog as both my lit&comp blog and a blog for my idea. I have some ideas that would be cool, but I'm not sure what's out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment